Taking attendance and monitoring participation is still crucial for identifying whether students are accessing lessons, or if they need supports to overcome barriers to showing up. Especially with today’s significantly high levels of absenteeism, mayors and other elected leaders, school boards and superintendents can signal the importance of school attendance by declaring that September is Attendance Awareness Month. The template below can easily be adapted for state leaders and boards. National and local organizations can also use these template proclamations and disseminate them through their networks.
How can city leaders and elected officials improve chronic absence?
We were delighted to see proclamations issued throughout the country designating September (or the start of school) as Attendance Awareness Month.
- Avondale, AZ
- Buckeye, AZ
- Goodyear, AZ
- Phoenix, AZ
- Tolleson, AZ
- In Concord, the Mt. Diablo Unified School District board of education passed an attendance awareness resolution on August 23, 2023. It was highlighted in the weekly district-wide newsletter, “The Friday Letter.”
- In early September, Carlsbad Mayor Dale Janway made a proclamation about Carlsbad Public Schools’ Attendance Matters! Every Student! Every Day! Campaign.
- The Brooklyn High School for Leadership & Community Service issued a proclamation recognizing September as Attendance Awareness Month and pledging to engage its entire community, affirm with families the importance of showing up, monitor outcomes with expanded data and assure accountability.
- Cohoes Mayor Bill Keeler celebrated attendance at an assembly at Van Schaick Grade School. At the event were assistant superintendent Dan Martinelli of Cohoes City School District and Jacqueline DeChiaro, principal, Van Schaick Grade School.
- Central School District 13J, in Polk County, Oregon, partnered with the cities of Monmouth and Independence to declare September Attendance Awareness Month. Each issued a proclamation.
- Mayor Tony Aikens of Lenoir City declared September to be Attendance Awareness Month and recognized Lenoir City Schools’ GetYourSelfie2School attendance Campaign. The proclamation noted that “chronic absence can be significantly reduced when schools, families and communities work together to monitor and promote good attendance.” See “S2S” pdf.
- With a proclamation issued at LISD Performing Arts Complex Auditorium, Laredo Independent School District declared Attendance Awareness Month. A middle school band played, three high school students led the Pledge of Allegiance, and “perfect attendance” kings and queens will be recognized monthly at each campus.
- Millcreek, UT
In September, the Alleghany Highlands School Board voted a resolution recognizing Attendance Awareness Month and the benefits to students and families of regular attendance.
- Staunton City Council issued an Attendance Awareness proclamation to Staunton City Schools.
- Harrisonburg, VA
- Elkins Mayor Jerry Marco signed a proclamation announcing Attendance Awareness Month during a ceremony at City Hall. Last year, Randolph County Schools instituted the Community In Schools program, which is key in forming relationships among schools, students and the students’ families, officials said.